Monday 25 March 2019

Whence She Grew

It took three attempts to birth this image, but here she is.


My first attempt was short-sighted, for I quickly realised that, as the snakes and tree roots are quite stylised, the tree should be so too. I rethought things, came up with a new drawing, and began painting again. However, I did not prepare for the second attempt with the same sequence of colours that I used on the first, and was not happy with the result. So, with as much patience as I could muster, I began yet again …


This is, perhaps, a valuable lesson. I’m often so eager to be working on something that I have a tendency to rush into an idea without thinking it through sufficiently. From now on I’ll try to slow down.

2 comments:

  1. third time was the charm! the leaves are a very effective touch, i think. and the colour gradient works so well. our heads do get ahead of our hands, and part of artistry is seeing that, often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, so true. I'm trying to let the images come, and not to overthink.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you.