Friday 13 January 2023

Some Thoughts On the Silly Season

I tested positive to Covid on Christmas Day, which, with family visiting from overseas, was unfortunate and disappointing … yet also a relief. I was pleased to be given the opportunity to opt out of attending the family gathering, despite having to be unwell to do so. It was the first time I have missed Christmas, and it was something of a treat.

I’ve explained in previous posts why I don’t celebrate the new year (according to Greg’s calendar, as someone put it), but I’ve never broached the topic of Christmas, though I have long felt uncomfortable about it. I don’t identify as Christian, and nor do I wish to participate in the commercial side of the occasion. I have no issue with marking the winter solstice and the rebirth of the sun (and the year), but this does not translate to the Australian summer. The incongruity of it (and Easter in autumn, Halloween in spring) is part of what increases my discomfort. We are so disconnected from the land and the seasons that we don’t seem to mind that the celebration doesn’t make any sense!

I’ve justified my involvement based on it being the most convenient time for a family gathering, and I may as well make and eat some special food. But my recent experience has made me think more deeply about what I dislike about the silly season.

In addition to the unease created by the disjunction between festival and season, the imposition of symbols and traditions that do not fit the context, there is a great deal of stress, anxiety, energy expenditure and anticipation, and a great deal of disappointment, tedium and emotional drain. I find being in large groups dissipates my energy, whilst with one or two people there can be more of a concentration of it. In both cases there is a cost, but while the latter can be productive and enlivening, the former merely results in depletion.

This time of year is exhausting, and it becomes depressing, not just because of the fatigue, but because the requirement to participate in a gathering of many people is so counterproductive. To me it is not ‘quality time’ but just a lot of noise. The consequence is more, not less, loneliness, misunderstanding and invisibility.

I know I’m not the only person to feel this way, for many people struggle with their mental/emotional health at this time of year. And I have it on good authority that other women who contracted Covid over Christmas have expressed similar thoughts to mine. How interesting that we feel relief more than sadness.

I’m not sure what will happen next year, but I wanted to put these thoughts out there, to make it clear that there are other ways to think about what most people seem to accept as given, and that some of us have different needs and wishes in regards to our interactions with others. I’m not sure that I can say no right now, but maybe one day I will be able to make that choice for myself.

For those who are wondering, after some initial aches and pains, my Covid symptoms were very mild, and I seem to be mostly recovered, though I will be taking things easy for a while yet, because much as I love the idea of summer, the reality has never really agreed with me. Luckily, I made the finishing touches to my bedroom redecoration (which took over a year!) by hanging some pictures a week before Christmas, so I had three little images by Meinrad Craighead to look at while I was isolating. I also had books, music, much food, and I saw a snake glide through the backyard, which was exciting (the second this summer). So being sick turned out to be something of an enjoyable little retreat, which brought a whole range of feelings, thoughts and insights, and I am rather grateful for all of it.


The view from my bed, with the wall looking more grey
than it actually is, and my quilt cover looking more orange.

2 comments:

  1. i can see how holidays that evolved around north european seasons would sit uneasily in australia. probably the most sensible thing would have been to learn about and follow local land-based festivals or observances from the indigenous population, but that's not how colonising people thought, sadly. it's similar in parts of the americas, of course. the whole 'palm trees and reindeer' disconnect...

    then there are the expectations that go along with the xmas holiday season. it can be a lot. too much for introverts, or people with chronic illness and low energy, or families with dysfunctional dynamics. the very things that might once have made sense and brought warmth and cheer to isolated farm dwellers in the nordic world could be overwhelming and bizarre in the summer season of the southern hemisphere, amongst modern people.

    i love yuletide. but i live with someone who hates it, and i've had to find ways to enjoy the season around him. part of that has been really scaling back and choosing which aspects work for us, and minimising or jettisoning those which do not. i have never embraced the commercial side, so no changes were needed there; even when my daughter was young we kept a simple yule in that regard. perhaps the key is having some choice of if. and how, to observe it. so many struggle at this time of year--surely that indicates *something* is out of balance and needs rethinking.

    i hope you are resting as comfortably as possible. i had covid back in july and it was sufficiently horrid even with the immunisations. ugh. don't rush your recovery. i can see how it might have been a retreat, though. which makes me think...why should we have to become seriously ill in order to take breaks and get rest? it's almost like something is terribly wrong in our culture, LOL.

    happy new year, whenever and however you choose to observe it. may it be a better year for all.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you.