Thursday 22 December 2016

After the Longest Day

I wanted to write something uplifting to mark the solstice yesterday, this highest point of the year in the southern hemisphere, but I haven’t been able. 

2016 has been a very challenging year for various reasons, and though I am proud of myself for continuing to post here, and I have achieved much, I have also come to realise that there are so many other things that I need to work on too—not least my health, which has been sliding downhill for several months.  

Thus, I will be taking a short break from blogging to enjoy what I can of the remainder of the year, to rest, to work on some creative goals I have fallen behind with, and to read as much as I can through the hot and lazy days of summer (including my one concession to the festive season, Jeanette Winterson’s latest book, Christmas Days: 12 Stories and 12 Feasts for 12 days). 

A page from Christmas Days
In the meantime, here are some of my offerings that I am most proud of:


My Beginning

An exploration of one powerful, and strangely beautiful, bird, and how fire and water are kindred: Fire in the Belly of Vulture.

The many beauties of autumn: Autumn's Gifts.

A poem of green union: Tree Woman.

A post for today’s opposite, the winter solstice: Wintersong.

A piece about creativity and illness that surprised me with its popularity: A Relationship with Illness.

A reminder that anything, even not being able to write, can be the subject of writing: Being the Mountain.

A meditation on darkness, which I got such a kick out of writing: Endarkenment.

And a call for new stories, so that the Earth can be saved: Telling the New Stories.


Thank you to everyone who has stopped by to read, and to all my commenters. I wish you an enjoyable festive season, whichever way you do or don’t celebrate it.

I will be back some time in the new year.

2 comments:

  1. This has not been one of the best times of my life, but one of the high points has definitely been finding your blog. Thank you for creating this wonderful place! Rest and read and enjoy your warm summer days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hilja. It means a lot to me that you say that.

      It hasn't been the best time of my life either, but I've loved exploring your blog (I find all your knitting and sewing amazing), and am grateful for the small connections I have made, simply by reaching out with my own creative work. Thank you for all your comments, and enjoy your winter season.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you.