Friday 31 August 2018

Little Green Things: A Poem


Little green things 
heed the call 
that Death eats Life 
and Life sprouts 
from Death 
in a spiral dance 
of joy and sorrow –
for a long cold winter 
will always become 
a bright spring

This little poem has been adapted from something I wrote a number of years ago, but I thought it apt to share on this last official day of winter.

This winter has not seemed particularly long, though there have been some cold days. What it has lacked is rain. Though spring shoots and blooms regardless, and for this I am grateful. Growth and transformation is on its way, with or without the rain. Let’s welcome it.




5 comments:

  1. Lovely words, Therese, and it amazes me that even on the other side of the world, your Spring looks remarkably like ours :)
    I am so glad Summer's heat has passed here, and we can look forward the beauties of Autumn...
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Claire. Our spring looks like yours in gardens and parks; but out in the bush it's quite a different thing—the native plants staying their own kind of green all year round. It's quite a contradiction, living in Australia, the exotic plants alongside the natives. Still, there are beauties to be found in both.

      I hope your autumn brings relief from the heat, and some much-needed rain. x

      Delete
  2. yes, the endless round dance of life...an ancient magic.

    one of my favourite things about spring is the little flower-like clusters of leaves as they come forth on the branches, with or without an actual blossom tucked away in the centre. you've got some lovely images of those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So lovely!

    Blossom is everywhere here right now. I came across my first blossoming tree two days ago and was enchanted, excited; but when I went further afield yesterday I saw many lavishly flowering trees and was surprised to realise spring has definitely budded. It seems rather early, but I'm not complaining. I love this season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem early—winter seems to have slipped by so fast. But I'm ready for change. Thank you, Sarah. :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you.