Wednesday 15 March 2023

All-Seeing

 The symbol of the all-knowing, all-seeing, many-eyed god belongs to an archetypal image in which the stars of the night sky appear as the eyes of the godhead. The link between the upper and lower regions is characteristic for diverse phases of the Great Mother’s rule. As goddess of the tomb, she rules over the world of the dead, but at the same time she governs the celestial world, whose luminaries are her eyes. 

~Erich Neumann, The Great Mother: An Analysis of the Archetype, 1955/1963, p. 127


*


These eyes have been watching me for a long time now, waiting to be released onto the page, into colour and form. Inspired, in part, by the eyes/scales in the background of a favourite image by Meinrad Craighead, Crow Mother, Her Eyes, Her Eggs, they also relate to another idea I’ve yet to realise, but hope to in time. 


They are not quite as I envisaged them, yet, they have been my way back into creating after a long, long break, a methodical and repetitive task to reawaken my painterly self. A new beginning. 


All-Seeing, watercolours and watercolour pencil on gesso prepared paper (2023)

2 comments:

  1. i like this! it seems like it would be a good design to offer on printed objects on redbubble or similar sites, if that is something you are interested in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Most of my art is available on Redbubble, though mostly just as prints and cards. I've yet to try any of the 3D items, but maybe I should give it a go with this one. https://www.redbubble.com/people/ThereseD/shop?asc=u

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you.