Thursday 2 November 2023

An Update from the Burgeoning Spring

With all that is going on in the world at present I have not felt disposed to posting here, yet I have been sharing a lot elsewhere (and finding it a lifeline in difficult times). So here is a little, mostly visual, update on the past few months.

Some images from my trip to Canberra in July to see the Feared and Revered exhibition, including a turquoise parrot (a species new to me) and a lonely black swan.

Some knitting I finished a while back. I have never been a yellow person, but I’ve developed a liking for mustards and golds. I had more yarn than expected left over from making the jumper, so was able to make a scarf as well.



A paragraph from The Matter With Things by Iain McGilchrist, from the chapter on creativity.


Away from home, dog-sitting, and finding orchids, who told me not to fade away.


Feeling this (from the poem ‘In This Motherless Geography’ by Elaine Orr).

Home, finding treasures in the garden, and assembling little poems on the floor of my studio, plus a quote about purpose from The Matter With Things.



After a particularly hard day, a walk to the lake for the calm of water, and a white-faced heron!


Another brief trip to Canberra, where the moon rose amidst the branches of an antlered tree.


I finally finished reading Volume I of The Matter With Things, and here are some more choice quotes.







More garden treasures, including a white-browed scrub wren.



A grey fantail, dancing.


And remembering to have the patience of the snail. (This year, though extremely difficult, is turning out to be very interesting also—so, though I am lying fallow at present, I hope to find the creative flow again soon.)

2 comments:

  1. many beautiful and interesting things here... and isn't it funny how a colour can possess one? even sometimes a colour that previously didn't appeal strongly. i find myself falling in and out of love with various colours all the time. they always meet some deeper than aesthetic need at the time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a knitter has certainly made me love colours more, but that yellow is the brightest colour I've ever chosen!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you.