Thursday 23 August 2018

Winterlight

This week I am resting after being away from home for a couple of weeks, so I thought I would show you some of what I saw in that somewhat different place: the winterlight of afternoon, the intimations of spring as the wattle begins to flower, the small beauties of the bush; and the extraordinary book I have been very slowly rereading, trying to let its wisdom soak into my flesh so that I can begin to awaken to the sensuous world once more.

(Apologies for the quality of some of the photos. I didn’t have my camera with me, so all of these images were taken with my phone.)


The efflorescence of the hairpin banksia, Banksia spinulosa
Prickly Moses or juniper wattle, Acacia ulcifolia


Golden wattle, Acacia longifolia, breaking into bloom
Probably a species of boronia





The dried efflorescence and seed pods of the Old Man Banksia, Banksia serrata 



4 comments:

  1. Definite signs of Spring - gorgeous photos, Therese! We are finally seeing signs of Autumn in the UK, after such a long, hot Summer...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Claire.

      Yes, we've been hearing about the heat in Europe, and the lack of rain in many places. There has been no rain here either, so unless we get some decent rain in spring we are going to have a horror fire season over summer. Let's hope some balance returns soon, but I fear that this heat and dryness is going to become more and more normal—where it isn't flooding, of course.

      Delete
  2. nature really is the consummate artist...

    i need a copy of that book---every time you quote him, it resonates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both his books are quite extraordinary. The first time I read them they really did blow my mind and help to change my thinking. He is committed to what he calls a kind of 'radical immanence', a new kind of 'materialism' (or 'matter-realism'), which I think is essential if we are going to learn to form new relationships with the earth, and survive into the future. It also has important spiritual implications—the sacred is right here, in the visible, physical world.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you.