Saturday 15 January 2022

Returning and Remembering

While beneficial, my six months away from social media and blogging hasn’t been anywhere near enough, particularly as poor health kept me from achieving as much as I had hoped. So while I am now back from my break, and plan to post here if/when I can, I’ll still be limiting my online presence.


August 2021

As my long-term followers would know, at the end of each year I tend to sum up my achievements, to remind myself of what I have undertaken and created. Obviously this time I am a little overdue, but since some significant things did happen in 2021 I do want to look back briefly.


Firstly, there was the exhibition of women’s art in New Zealand in June: The Life I Have Not Lived But Can Remember, thanks to the organising of Renee Gerlich. It was so exciting and humbling to have my work shown alongside that of so many other talented women artists and culture-makers. The exhibition has the potential to expand and be shown in other places, and the art can be seen on Instagram: @womenremember



I was delighted to have two of my paintings included in the online gallery associated with Wisdom Across the Ages, the wonderful virtual symposium held in celebration of Marija Gimbutas’ centennial, presented by the Association for the Study of Women and Mythology (ASWM), in cooperation with the Institute of Archaeomythology. That exhibition ran from 10th July until the end of the year. 


A shortened version of my review of Medicine Woman: Reclaiming the Soul of Healing by Lucy H. Pearce, was published in Sage Woman magazine, issue 96, which I unexpectedly received in the mail in October. 




I also FINALLY got my act together and acquired some shelving to house my (far too) many books. My studio is now much more organised—no more piles of books on the floor! 



I am disappointed that I haven’t been able to utilise the last six months more productively in terms of art-making, but I feel as if I am in a much-needed fallow time creatively, as well as attending to some other necessities in my life. I want to be ‘nobody’ for a while longer, to continue to gather in energies until I am ready to reemerge.

4 comments:

  1. congratulations on your achievements over the year! including the bookshelves, of course; a more mundane achievement but one that feels good to see every day, i'm sure.

    welcome back. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm a little apprehensive about being back, but also glad for the familiar faces and images and words I am seeing online. I'll just be taking baby steps for a while.

      Delete
  2. Liking the setup there in the studio, Therese. Perhaps you did not 'do' much but things you have previously done being on show is very special. Congratulations on the published review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you.