Tuesday 19 November 2019

A Dark Place: A Poem

I’ve done a lot of stream of consciousness writing over the last couple of months—most of it absolute drivel—but even when I think I can’t write, out comes something that has some meaning, and becomes a found or accidental poem. It may not be the best writing, and I do hope it’s not too self-pitying, but it is true writing, and so worth sharing.


I wish I had some words
wish I could write                   poetry 
something to make sense
of where I am
but I don’t have words
don’t have understanding          at all 
I can say nothing 
can put nothing down

and I read novels
these dystopian tales 
by women             and I think 
I will never write because
I will never be able 
to make sense of my thoughts 
like them                those brilliant women
will never have the imagination 
to write as they do
the courage to embrace ambiguity
to face such           difficult things

I guess I have been avoiding 
looking into the eyes 
of the death mother
even though I feel 
such an affinity 
with her

I keep wishing to 
return to the earth 
because I don’t know 
how to go on

yet I will change my thoughts 
when my energy changes
that’s what always happens 
and I become new 
and different
and it’s so stupid
that I am not                   myself
that I am more than one
that there are selves inside
and they come out 
at different times

I know 
this is just a mood
that will pass
I know
still there’s some truth 
in how I feel I feel         I feel 

I wish I felt more           and better 
knew when I was           distorting 
telling myself lies
I wish I understood
learned faster
was a better human being 
for a line I read in a book 
told how feeling terribly 
about yourself 
is just a kind 
of narcissism 
and so I really wish 
I could stop thinking 
about myself at all 
and just get on with life
but the problem is that 
I can’t do anything 
except this                   here
(and badly at that)
so all I think about 
is myself and my feelings 
a world of grief 
and I wish I could go  elsewhere 
be something               different 
new and reborn
transformed 
something 
anything

but I am stuck in          no woman’s land 
a dark place
the emptiest of     shadowlands

2 comments:

  1. perhaps your unique subject matter is exactly this lived, cyclical reality: the shadowlands, the return to light after long periods of forgetting almost what it is like, mining the depths, a patient (or not so patient) waiting, an understanding of emptiness that is the necessary precursor of fullness, and the greatest strength of all...how to live with grief and pain and powerlessness. we need the wisdom of people who navigate these shadowlands and a knowledge that goes beyond/under/through dystopian vision to the magical point where grief shares an edge with hope. those who dwell periodically in these darker depths may be the seeds of an un-guessed at, unimagined rebirth. children of the bone mother, who eats what is dead and prepares the world for new life...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your words, they are balm to me right now. <3

      I think you are right. The shadowlands are part of my reality. It's how I navigate them that matters, and what I can bring back from the dark places. I need to make the bone mother my friend.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you.