Friday 15 November 2019

Memories of Spring

Since finishing my last painting, which I thought was returning me to a more sustained state of creative flow, I have not been able to do much. Another painting was begun, but then abandoned. Another idea was scribbled into my sketchbook, but has not progressed. Susan Griffin’s quote about the illusion of wellness has never seemed more apt.

The imagery and words that had started to spill out have now retreated within, tangling inside me, with no outlet, no freedom. Such are the seasons of illness, I suppose. I must simply endure, and wait.

Still, I can at least share with you some memories of spring …

A silver-eyed Australian raven.


Reading my story published in the second volume of Heroines, from the Neo Perennial Press.



Showy blossoms and new green.



The beautiful fabrics I bought for (yet to begin) sewing projects.


Mist on the mountains, and the pitter-patter of rain—particularly sweet memories in these dry and dangerous days of fire around the state.






Two red wattlebird chicks, waiting patiently for their next feed.


This handsome little man, strutting his stuff—a superb fairy-wren.





A fast growing wattlebird chick feeding herself from one of the thirteen waratah blooms we had on the bush in our front yard.




Expansive skies.


And sweet little gifts.


It looks like a long, hot and very dry summer is ahead of us. Rain would be most welcome, but in its absence I will keep seeking what small, succulent gifts I can find.

2 comments:

  1. i was thinking of you the other day---my health has been on the downturn rather than improving as i had hoped, and i know several people with chronic illnesses who are in the same boat. ah well, you are right: we must look for the beauty and succulence in each day.

    hope you find some improvement soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, and I'm sorry to hear about your health.

      It's not easy to find the beauty in each day when everything seems to be declining, diminishing, disappearing, etc … But what else can we do? Even in the midst of despair, perhaps we all have to believe there is a seed of hope, improvement, possibility. I am trying to accept change, in whatever form in comes.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you.