Wednesday 7 July 2021

Mystery: A Poem

how little I understand 

my own illness 

its blunt fogs 

its sharp disquiets

the sheerness of the fall 

back into myself 

to be nothing more than 

this body, here and now 

elsewhere and -when 

only a dream I visit 

unwelcome, unwanted 


my face is hidden 

even from myself 

my possibilities impossible 

fragments of life unlived 

scattered on bare ground 


there will be no blossom 

except invisibly – 

phantom flowers 


the painful glorious 

ghostly unknowns 

of the life that is mine


*


I hadn’t written anything in a long time, let alone a poem.


This one arrived when I had a bad headache and fatigue, and was lying in bed trying to rest, if not sleep a bit. Yet in the midst of rest the words started to come, and I had to get up to get my notebook, to record the words before I forgot everything.


A reminder that creative work comes when it is ready, and not before; and sometimes out of the most unlikely and uncomfortable experiences.


4 comments:

  1. you've really hit on the realities of chronic illness. however we choose to think of it and express it, there is a limitation endured. and we mourn the unexpressed---unknown, even, as you observe--possibilities that might have been. "phantom flowers" indeed...

    you have produced some beautiful real flowers, too, in your art. but the frustration, the grief, is real. i struggle with it as well, and your articulation of it here feels so accurate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is frustrating and sad, not being able to do and create as I would like. My health is deteriorating. And yet I am still finding wisdom and a certain beauty in the experience of illness, and new ways of thinking and being. I am looking forward to slipping back into the shadowlands soon for a long rest, to replenish my wellspring, and come back renewed.

      Delete
  2. Really enjoyed reading this poem, I only wish that you didn't have to live an experience which you have so beautifully expressed. I also fully go along with "creative work comes when it is ready, and not before". I have found that, at the right time, one finds the stamina in spite of feeling wrecked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Malcolm. I find it so interesting how creative work often emerges out of little unexpected surges of energy, and things just fall into place. It's a bit like magic … if only we didn't have to live with the rest of the challenges. Still, every little creative piece is a blessing, a gift, and for that I'm grateful.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you.